Have you ever wanted to get information from a school or school district in Southwest Washington State but didn’t know what needed to be done?
Well…this is your lucky day!
We contacted each of the ten (10) districts in SWW and asked them for the email address to use to submit a Public Record Request (sometimes called a Public Information Request). Below we’ll list the school districts and the email address to be used. This information is accurate as the day of this post. If you find different information please share it with us.
Let’s start with some background:
What is a Public Record Request/Public Information Request?
- Washington State provides details here: http://www.atg.wa.gov/obtaining-records
- Basically it’s a legal way for you to ask for records and information that’s related to the public. This goes to all levels of government.
- You MUST be very specific. You must ask, in excruciating detail, for what you want. No detail is too small. You only get what you ask so don’t be timid.
Is there a specific form required?
- Rarely. Some school districts have a suggested form but none can deny your request because you didn’t use their form.
- Legally you can call, mail, fax or email. We use email so we have a record of the time/day/topic/specifics of our requests
Do they have to respond and if so when and how?
- School districts MUST respond with seven (7) days that they have received your request and acknowledge it
- They are to respond with answers, documents, etc., within 30 days unless they can show it will take longer
Is there a cost for the request?
- Maybe…if you request hard copies of materials or a CD or other physical materials they can request a small amount per document. Otherwise…electronic…no
What can you expect?
- They will answer the question(s) you ask but nothing more
- They will not interpret or supply anything except what you explicitly ask for
- They may contact you asking for clarification(s) prior to beginning their efforts
School District PRR/PiR email submission information:
Green Mountain: email@example.com
Battle Ground: firstname.lastname@example.org
La Center: email@example.com